Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hungry? 28 week update

I've heard so many women complain that the Glucose Tolerance Test is the worst because you have to chug this nasty sugary drink.  But let me tell you:  it's really not that bad!  In fact, I kind of enjoyed it.  It's like orange Fanta - without the fizz.  What's so bad about that?  I chugged it in 2 seconds in the car while filling up my tank, had my blood drawn exactly an hour later.  Done and done.

Now I'm just waiting for test results.

I'm not worried, but I wonder if I should be...?  No one in my family has had a gestational diabetes issue, so I think I'm in the clear.  BUT, I have been eating a lot of sweets lately.

It's so weird.  First trimester I couldn't even LOOK at a dessert without feeling ill.  Then around week 20, I developed a Mrs. Fields white chocolate macadamia nut/sugar cookie addiction.  Had to have one a day for a couple weeks.

Then around week 24, I suddenly had the taste memory of eating belgian waffles with whipped cream and strawberry compote at Big Boy with my mom, which we'd do often when I was little, and that craving kicked in hard core.  That night after a film networking event, around 11pm, V and I went to our local diner and I had strawberry pancakes.  A few days later in Miami, I had a strawberry belgian waffle at brunch, and since then I've had strawberry belgian waffles a handful more times.  This one is sticking!


In fact, if I could, I would have a strawberry belgian waffle right now!   Side note: I have a feeling my baby is going to LOVE strawberries.

But I just ate a piece of homemade banana bread (baked last night for the first time), so...um...I probably shouldn't. 

A few days ago, I was walking by a bagel shop and the smell of cinnamon bagels wafted through the air.  I immediately thought of cinnamon rolls.  And that day after lunch I just had to have one.  Warmed up in the microwave with the icing all melted and gooey, it totally hit.the.spot.

The thing about cravings when you're pregnant, or at least for me during this pregnancy, is that I have been soooo susceptible to the power of suggestion.  During first trimester, I would crave little kid '80s food, and it would almost always be because I'd read it somewhere or someone would mention it on a blog or forum.  But then I'd have a few bites and be done and it'd be gross again.  Some examples:  Kraft Mac n' Cheese - from the box, with ham chunks added, Jiff peanut butter (had to be Jiff creamy), Doritos, Fruity Pebbles, Pizza flavored Combos, Munchos, Chicken Pot Pie from the freezer aisle.

A thought, how do people survive on packaged food like this?  At least our bouts of bad food were interspersed with really healthy, home-cooked Korean food when I was young.  It's scary to think this is the quality of shitfood a lot of people subsist on on a daily basis.

So anyway, as of Saturday's midwife appointment, I've gained 18 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.  That's pretty much textbook on the weight charts, but all of mine happened from around 16 weeks onward.  It went something like this:

0-12 weeks:  -3 lbs
13-15 weeks: +3 lbs
________________
16-19 weeks: +5 lbs
20-24 weeks: +6 lbs
25-28 weeks: +7 lbs

OMG, I just realized, if I continue this exponential growth, I'm going to be SO HUGE by the time I'm done!  I have 12 weeks left.  Holy cannoli.

Is it time to put down the pastries?  Damn, I hope not.  I was having so much fun!

Steel Tree Trimming Party, 12/17/11

3 comments:

  1. Don't put down the pastries...it's part of the joy of being preggers! :) And don't worry...you are still so teeny tiny. My friend had three sons and gained a HUNDRED pounds with each kid! So eat away, honey! You look fab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't think the orange drink was that bad either...some pg women are so dramatic.

    'don't mind if i take two of those orange sodas, doc.'

    you're all belly - don't worry about the weight. i lost about 8 pounds with both my girls in the first T and was thinking i could PIG OUT to make up for it. whoopsie-daisie. then i was thinking i should slow down...but ya just can't - enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete