Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Home remedies.

I have mashed potatoes on my chest as I write this. I'm not joking.

And of course, Monty's sitting on top of me because he wants to eat the potatoes.

I stayed home from work today after my 6th consecutive night of getting no sleep due to this horrendous cough. So V brought in reinforcements: my old school Russian father-in-law.

I now have hot mashed potatoes on my chest, vaporub on my feet, wrapped in cotton with large socks, and I just finished a cup of garlic honey tea. These remedies are pretty tame compared to what would be happening if I weren't pregnant.

He actually came over to do some ancient chinese cupping thing on my back and to put these weird mustard compresses on my chest but he's been advised not to do that on pregnant women.

This morning I also had a couple cups of warm milk, baking soda and honey.

To be honest, it all seems to be working. My cough broke long enough to get two hours of sleep.

It's pretty amazing, and it's nice being pampered by V. He's been a great nurse :-)

2 comments:

  1. OMG, if these home remedies work, you must post actual directions/recipes! Once a year, I get a debilitating cough (damn asthma) in the wintertime, and NO over-the-counter Western medicine can combat it. I would totally try potatoes on the chest if it works! Good luck and feel better, honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KK - these seem to really work:

      -For nighttime dry coughing - the kind where you're in a fit and can't get out of it: warm milk, baking soda, honey. I hate milk, but I find this drink to be very yummy! And it works. Be generous with the honey.

      -For tight lungs - vaporub on the soles of feet wrapped in a couple pairs of warm socks. Do before bed.

      -If your room is dry from radiator heat, a cold-mist humidifier.

      Delete