Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's he doing in there? And other in utero musings.

They say that a baby in utero sleeps 90% of the time.  I don't think this is true for my little one.  I feel him jabbing me and rolling over all day long and into the night.  I wonder if he's uncomfortable and can't get into a comfy position because I have such a short torso.  I was actually born with one very pigeon toed foot because my legs were squashed and I was born small, 2 months early!  I hope my little guy has enough room to stretch out a little bit!

Sometimes I feel him jabbing my cervix, other times kicking my ribs.  And all the time I feel little tickles on my right side.  Everything is always on the right side.  Very often I see a big rounded hard spot (probably a tooshie) taking over the middle/right part of my bump.

Which makes me wonder, what position is this baby in?  Does he really have enough room to keep switching from breech to head down at this point?  Whenever I press on the hard spot or the ticklish spot, I can feel him push back and then swim away. Maybe he has really long arms...or long fingers like all the Hwang girls.  Hmmm....or active little feet like mine.  At night before I go to bed, or when I'm relaxing on the couch, I am constantly rubbing my feet together, unconsciously.  My mom says I did this as a baby and she always laughs when she sees me doing it now as an adult. 

Also, I've started wondering if all this activity means that he's going to be a really active or fussy infant.  Or a hyperactive toddler/child like I was.

So of course I googled it, and this is what I found.  EEEP!!

In the first formal study of fetal temperament in 1996, DiPietro and her colleagues recorded the heart rate and movements of 31 fetuses six times before birth and compared them to readings taken twice after birth. (They've since extended their study to include 100 more fetuses.) Their findings: fetuses that are very active in the womb tend to be more irritable infants. Those with irregular sleep/wake patterns in the womb sleep more poorly as young infants. 

Awww, hells to the no! Please don't let this be true.  If he takes after his father in terms of his erratic sleep pattern, we are so screwed!  Although the upside is that V never suffers from real insomnia and never has trouble falling asleep.  He goes to sleep when he feels tired no matter what time, and stays asleep like a champ for at least 7 hours.

I wonder if I'll learn to breastfeed while sleeping.  That way V, who will likely already be awake, can just hook him up to my boobie while I catch some zzz's.  Heh.  If only it were that easy...

I've also been thinking a lot about what he's going to look like.  I could spend hours imagining his little face!  The other night, I had a dream that I gave birth and his face was the perfect combination of me and V.  But he was like...20 years old!  With a little infant body but a young man's face.  SO CREEPY!  But it was a relief that he was pretty good looking.  I'm even superficial in my dreams!  Hehe.

2 comments:

  1. OMG. Honey, you are so funny...your thoughts are probably echoed by preggers women everywhere, but they've never voiced them to anyone! Here are my thoughts (even though you didn't ask!:))
    a) of COURSE your baby is going to be ridiculously goodlooking...look at his parents!! besides, i was honestly the FUNNIEST, ODDEST looking baby ever (even my dad says so!) ... and I turned out semi-OK, right?! ;)
    b) I don't think you're torso is too short for your baby. My mom is teeny like you, and she birthed my sister who was 8 lb 20 oz! I think Baby Bokser is just dancing in there. :)
    c) Don't worry about the study! I apparently wreaked havoc on my mom's tummy while in the womb...but would feed myself my own bottle and put myself to sleep regularly as an infant. My mom said the 9 months of havoc was worth it for that! Like I said...Baby Bokser is just grooving in there because he is already such a cool kat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KK - a) true true. i was an U.G.L.Y. baby! super awkward looking and not at all symmetrical. and we're both hot now, so what up!

    b) also true. my BIL's mom is like 4'10" and he was 8 or 9 lbs and is now 6ft tall.

    c) hope you're right! i posted the question on a forum and i've been hearing there's no correlation. whew!

    ReplyDelete