Sunday, January 15, 2012

Owning it.

I caught a glimpse of my unmade up, paradoxically greasy/dry face, reflected in the outside of my car window today while putting away groceries and was frightened by the person staring back at me.  I actually stepped back a foot and cowered in horror.  My mother would be ashamed.

I grew up in a smallish town.  And when we went grocery shopping, my mom would make sure we had lipstick on and didn't look like dirty grunge hos just in case we ran into someone we knew.  Going to the grocery store was kind of like going to church.  A reason to dress up.  Or at least dress nice.  Not that I ever need an excuse to shop, but yeah, running errands actually made our clothes spending habits ok because I mean, how could we possibly go to Kessel in sweatpants?  I think I must have peaked around 1996, looking put together all the time, fresh outfits and my hair all did.  A message to the guys from high school:  you really missed out on a hot POA back in the day.

Fast forward almost 20 years to today:  Jersey City, NJ, A&P. The year two thousand and twelve.  Today I wore a pair fleece-lined leggings that make my legs look like tree trunks, very warm tree trunks; a pair of dingy Uggs; THE big down parka (fat guy in a little coat), which I can only button the top two buttons of leaving my 2008 JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge t-shirt peeking out the bottom (yup, sounds about right.  2008 was probably the last time I went running).  But what's worse is that my leggings aren't maternity leggings so I had them rolled down under the belly, and my t-shirt is a size x-small because in 2008 I was extra small.  Today, I am not, so I have about an inch and a half of prego belly peeking out the bottom of the t-shirt.

Ahhh...glorious.  If my mother could see me now! 

Anyway, seeing my reflection in the window today made me think immediately how grateful I am that I live in a huge city outside of an even huger city, and no one I know lives around me.  So frankly, I don't give a fuckity fuuuuck.  :-)

Oh, and the best part!  While I was in the freezer aisle, I sneezed.  And I also peed my pants a little.  So that was fun!  At least it didn't run down these very absorbent leggings.  Did I mention that they're lined with fleece?  If the full trickle had made it to my Uggs I'd be in real trouble.

How do you even wash sheepskin?

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha. Good for you, girl! I grew up with the same mentality...my mom looked her best even walking down the driveway to the mailbox! Alas, unlike you, I have had so much trouble breaking free of this idea that I have to look at least semi-decent wherever I go. Even when I'm sick and just running to the drugstore...I've got to drag my ass to the mirror to put on some tinted moisturizer and a swipe of eyeliner. And my sweatpants have to match my top. Sigh. I'm such a slave to my mother's teachings...so, congrats for breaking free. She SHOULD be proud. You are gorgeous and don't need to do anything to look cute. Although your description of your outfit did make me laugh out loud. And by the way...1996?? No way, jose. I saw you looking like a hot mama in person at LEAST until 1999....and have seen pics of you looking even hotter post 1999. If you peaked in 1996, I'd like to see some of those highschool photos, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haaaaaaahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahahahah.

    *absorbent*

    ReplyDelete