Saturday, April 28, 2012

He's sleeping through the night. Who cares if "night" means 6 to midnight?

He's actually 6.5 weeks today, but I obvi don't have time to keep up with this blog...
I don't want to jinx it, but for the past three nights, N has been sleeping for 6 hour stretches.

Do you know what this means?  It's like I won Olympic gold.  It's the point that every new parent strives for.  Forget sitting up, rolling over, their first teeth, first word, walking.  Forget it all.  It's SLEEP that matters. It's the pinnacle of parenting success.


It happened totally naturally though, so I can't take credit.  The only thing I did was put him to bed earlier.  So instead of 9pm, I put him down a 6pm and he sleeps until midnight, and then is up again at 3 am to suck on a boobie, then again at 6 am ready to start the day.  This may sound like a lot but it really means I'm only up ONCE the whole night! 

Except this morning I pushed his sleep to 7 am with a pacifier and then what WHAT?  He slept from 8 am to noon!!  And basically all day long with short 30 minute wake periods between naps just to take in some boob fuel and smile a little bit to make mommy happy and confirm he is alive and healthy.  I actually went into his room at one point and held my hand just an inch above his sleeping body to make sure it was still warm.  It's like he popped an ambien and is on a flight from Thailand back to the States after pulling a raging all nighter at the hotel in Bangkok.  Trust, I know what that feels like (minus the "raging" portion).

I also changed up his daytime sleep situation a few days ago because he kept waking from naps really early -- after 45 minutes -- which apparently is the length of a baby sleep cycle.  He's always slept well and predictably at night in 2.5-3 hour stretches, up to eat, and back down easily.  At night we have him in the Uppababy Vista bassinet in our room.  For daytime naps, we had been putting him in his crib in his room, a room without windows.  So for the last few days, I have put his bassinet inside his crib in his room and it seems to be making a big difference.

Whenever we have a boss day like this, I get really excited thinking we have a new schedule and pattern starting, but that is not the case.  The reality of it is that I will probably be fighting a seriously un-sleepy baby tomorrow.  But why dwell on a future that hasn't happened yet?  Today,  I am super mom doing everything right with an ambien angelbaby who never fusses or cries.

And to celebrate, I'm having a half glass of wine (first in 10 months!) since angelbaby won't be up for another 4 hours or so.  BLISS.


1 comment:

  1. HAHA. Sounds like such a good baby! My mom told me my sister was a sleeper. She used to go do checks for breathing too because she slept so much. Glad Nikolai is giving you a little break...whether it's temporary or not!

    ReplyDelete